Legendary actor Kevin Spacey is one of the most famous people to have their career destroyed by the #MeToo movement. Spacey was riding high in 2017 as the star of the hugely successful Netflix political drama “House of Cards.” However, an actor named Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of sexually assaulting him over 30 years ago when he was a minor. Netflix immediately fired Spacey and refused to release a completed film starring him about Gore Vidal. He has not worked at all since then. He has kept a very low profile for over a year. He attended a treatment center for sex addiction.
New sexual assault allegations were made against Spacey that he fondled a minor’s genitals in 2016. According to BBC, he appeared in court on Monday for the first time in Nantucket, MA. He said nothing during the entire court appearance. His lawyer entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. The judge overseeing the case told Spacey that he must have no contact whatsoever with his accuser or his family. His lawyers tried to get the court to allow Spacey to skip this hearing completely. The court denied this request and forced the actor to show up in person. The judge told Spacey on Monday that he will not need to be present at his next scheduled court appearance. This will take place on March 4th. However, he will need to be able to answer any questions by phone while the hearing is going on.
These two incidents are not the only accusations of sexual misconduct that have been levied against Spacey. There is currently an active investigation in London that is looking into reports that Spacey sexually assaulted several people while he was performing in a play on the city’s famed West End. Spacey recently broke his silence by posting a video on YouTube that shows him in an apron speaking like Frank Underwood, the character he played on “House of Cards.” Many people have criticized the video and called it disturbing. The video is basically Spacey’s way of denying all of the allegations that have been made against him.
It remains to be seen if Spacey will ever work again. He is 59 years old and his net worth is rumored to be in the range of $100 million. Therefore, he certainly does not need to work again for the money. His future will depend on the outcome of the pending case.